Opened in December 2014, GunnyRet Consulting, LLC connects American Military Veterans and their spouses or widows/widowers to military companies throughout the United States on a fee basis*.
*All recruiting fees are paid by the employer.
GunnyRet Consulting, LLC is owned and operated in Akron, Ohio by: Gunnery Sergeant Bryan A. McGown “Gunny” , United States Marine Corps, Retired.
Gunny McGown has been a successful job search coach to veterans and military spouses in northeast Ohio for more than 4 years, and brings his passion of helping veterans and companies join forces to succeed in business.
He serves on the founding board for NEOVETS. While chairing its Education/Awareness and Communication Committee, he rallied a team of about 20 HR professionals to host northeast Ohio’s first-ever program to educate employers about how to become a Certified Military Talent Employer. He also built the organization’s first website. On December 9, 2014, he accepted another board member role with the Cleveland American Veterans Association.
Gunny continues to hear from his former employer-clients and veterans, and currently has veterans in the coaching or interviewing cycles.
Starting as a volunteer at the Cuyahoga County, Ohio Veterans Service Commission in November 2011, Gunny made the case to create the first-ever, veteran and employer outreach specialist position as a paid role, and was subsequently hired in that capacity.
While employed as the ONLY Veteran and Employer Outreach Specialist in any of the 88 Ohio Veterans Service Commission offices from February 2012, Gunny and his partner employers realized many successes:
• Directly assisted more than 80 veterans in employment over a 36-month period
• Assisted more than 20 veterans by making referrals for free training that enhanced their current skills; making them more marketable for future employment
• Interviewed on camera with 3 television stations (Channels 3, 5, and 8), and on 3 radio stations, and 3 newspapers
• Organized and coordinated local teams to secure facilities, recruit participating companies/agencies, provided opening remarks for three U.S. Chamber of Commerce Hiring Our Heroes Hiring Fairs that reached approximately 1,200 veterans and spouses
• Volunteered and led team of 7 other volunteers to host an outreach setup in Cleveland’s Public Square during 2012 Marine Week activities
• Spoke to a group of 600 Marine Corps Individual Ready Reservists to educate them about available services
• Sought out by agencies to speak or appear in outreach events, and attended more than 19 outreach events in 2013 alone
• Spoke to a group of 20 Ohio Vocational Rehabilitation counselors, and residents of the Cleveland Volunteers of America, Veterans Resource Center
• Used social media, Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn to highlight the good works of the Veterans Service Commission
• Created a public profile in Eventbrite™ to publish in-house Veteran Recruitment Briefs and other presentations including one conducted by the Ohio Lieutenant Governor, Mary Taylor concerning the employment of veterans in the Ohio insurance industry
• Researched and fully implemented self-service scheduling system to help streamline appointment setting
Gunny McGown enlisted from Lisbon, Ohio, and served domestically and abroad in the Marine Corps for 20 years as an active duty human resource manager, and enlisted and officer recruiter. Prior to his retirement on August 31, 2001, Gunny McGown served as the HR manager at the Inspector-Instructor Staff, Erie, Pennsylvania; while training active duty and reserve Marines, and coordinated funeral honors for fallen Marines.
Upon retirement from the Marine Corps, Gunny continued to serve the public as an Income Maintenance (welfare) Caseworker for about 6 years for the Pennsylvania Department of Human Services. He was often sought-out by co-workers and managers to resolve questions or concerns involving applications from military family members.
Gunny relocated to his native Ohio in 2008 and became the Director of Operations for Aim High Medical, LLC as a durable medical equipment company contracted by the Veterans Administration to cover VISN-10 patients.
© Copyright 2017 GunnyRet Consulting, LLC. All rights reserved.